Morning rituals are small but consistent habits that create more ease, flow, and energy throughout your day. They remind you of the important things such as being mindful, taking care of the body, practicing gratitude, and being present with loved ones. A morning ritual is a way of investing in and showing up for yourself.
Rituals are gentle reminders to commit to what is most important in your life consistently. Without them, you might get caught up in rushing, forgetting, and perhaps letting emotions get the best of you. Only when you take care of yourself can you take care of others.
People often mistake routines for rituals and vice versa. Routines are different from rituals in that routines tend to set the tone for the day, which is helpful and effective. Rituals are small personal habits that can change lives by creating calmness, ease, and abundance – an act of self-love.
If you are someone who believes there is not enough time in the day to create a ritual, try asking yourself these three things:
- Could I wake up a little earlier?
- What could I say no to?
- How important is good health and well-being to me?
Here are a few simple yet effective morning rituals that could benefit you:
Warm Water with Lemon
The main benefits of lemon water are its ability to flush out toxins, wake up digestion, and rehydrate the body, all of which helps clear up skin. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, which helps the body reduce stress and replenishes electrolytes. It is also an anti-inflammatory and helps to reduce joint and muscle pain.
Try these morning lemon elixirs for a variety of health benefits:
- Warm water with lemon and sea salt
- Warm water with lemon and apple cider vinegar
- Warm water with lemon and honey
- Warm water with lemon and cayenne
Sync Your Breath
You will be breathing for the rest of your life, so you might as well be good at it. By listening to your breath, you understand what is going on internally, and therefore can connect to yourself better.
Here are a few benefits of conscious breathing:
- Stimulates the brain by releasing endorphins and reducing stress
- Reduces toxins in the lungs
- Circulates blood flow
- Energizes and increases vitality
Salute the Sun
Many health experts recommend creating a ritual with the sun to feel more connected with the earth and yourself. This may look different for each person.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Spend 2-3 minutes outside and feel the sun on your face, allow the warmth to penetrate the pineal gland, and trigger the synthesis of vitamin D within the body.
- A Sun Salutation is a great way to drop into your body and connect it with your breath making it the perfect moving meditation.
- Create your own yoga flow or stretch sequence in the sun that will stimulate and supply the muscles with better blood flow and increase brain stimulation.
- A 10-minute morning walk is a great way to clear the head and give you more energy throughout the day.
Set Your Intention
Setting and honoring an intention is a powerful acknowledgment of who you are in the moment. It helps you focus on your goals with sincerity and integrity and provides guidance throughout the day. Through intentions, you can consciously create your reality by staying committed to what you want to put out into the world.
A few examples of intentions:
- To be honest with myself and others
- To be kind and compassionate
- To be open
- To avoid comparing myself to others
- To practice gratitude daily
“When you are in creation mode, the frontal lobe is in control. It becomes so engaged that your thoughts become your reality and your experience. Whatever you are thinking about in those moments is all there is for the frontal lobe to process.” – Dr. Joe Dispenza
A gratitude ritual releases the neurotransmitters of serotonin and dopamine that increase your mood and leave you feeling good from the inside out. Give pause for gratitude each morning and notice how more optimistic you become.
Morning rituals are commitments that express an intention to show up in the world all day. When we show love to ourselves, our vibration rises, and we can radiate that loving kindness to each other.